Search This Blog

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Voluntary Poisoning.....

One day closer to the weekend!! WOOT WOOT!!!
I think I’m gonna make it!

Once a week, I put poison into my body.

I know you’re thinking “She drinks more than once a week”.

This particular poison is prescribed to me by my physician.  It’s a chemotherapy agent, albeit a mild one.  Methotrexate.

I take it in one dose, once a week.  6 tablets.

Some weeks, on the day after, I feel shiteous.  Other days after I feel fine.  It has been completely unpredictable.

Yesterday was my day after.  I didn’t feel sick really, just super tired.  Of course my condition can cause fatigue as well, but I can usually push through it.

I have an autoimmune condition called Dermatomyositis.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001842/  It is listed as a “rare disease” by the Office of Rare Diseases.

So, after work yesterday, I went to Kroger, got some veggies, came home and roasted them, then napped.   I woke up from the nap, put on my pajamas and went back to bed.  That was the most sleep I’ve gotten in so long I can’t even remember.  Sometimes I forget to listen to my body, I didn’t forget yesterday!

I was hesitant to begin the methotrexate therapy.  I was already taking a rather large dose of prednisone.  More medication just didn’t seem like a good idea to me.  I held off as long as I could.  But I just wasn’t getting better.

In May of this year, I relented.  I started poisoning myself every Monday night (which is now Monday or Tuesday, depending on the functioning of my brain) the first part of May.  I was hoping to see some improvement before I went on vacation at the end of the month.

Doesn’t that sound poetic? “I poison myself every Monday”…..

I have to admit, now, 3 months later, I can tell that it is working.  So well, in fact, that I am attempting to wean myself off of the prednisone.  I am seeing enough improvement that I am hopeful that, soon, I can go back to being Action Girl (a nickname given to my by a friend).  I miss Action Girl, she kicks ass.  But only in a good way, she’s a lover not a fighter!

Keep your fingers crossed for me my friends!!!

Tonight will be a sad evening….. one of my best friends, JG, lost his father on Sunday and the services are tonight.
JG’s papa fought a long battle, as did his entire family.  My heart is breaking for him, I love him like a little brother, he is such a good man. 

Please send some good vibes JG’s way………….

2 comments:

Vigilarius said...

Well, it could be worse: instead of Dermatomyositis, you could have Cooties. ;)

TrippyBeth said...

that is true... no one wants those!