Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Barefoot in the Cemetery


As I've mentioned in a previous posting, one of my hobbies is photographing cemeteries.  I am not a professional photographer, obviously.  But, I like to consider myself an iPhonographer.  I never even use my digital camera anymore.  Hell, I don't even know where it is.  My phone has an 8mp camera, the digital camera is a 12mp, and honestly I can't tell the difference between the two.
The bonus with the iPhone is that I can run the photos immediately through a photo app.

Back in the spring I made several trips to local cemeteries to get some photos and in May, visited the Bonaventure Cemetery while I was in Savannah, GA.

I don't understand why more people don't visit cemeteries.  While I love parks, I actually prefer cemeteries, they are often more beautiful with their statuary (I'm a sucker for statues) and plantings.  As a bonus, you don't usually see any annoying children running around, so it's truly peaceful!!

I am including some of the photos I've taken for your viewing pleasure..... hopefully pleasure......

These first six photos were taken at Highland Cemetery in Ft.Wright, KY (http://highlandcemetery.com/).
It's a rather large cemetery, I didn't even cover a fraction of it.  It is definitely on my list to return to.


The next four photos were taken at Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati, OH.  Hands down one of the most beautiful places in the area (http://www.springgrove.org/).  Just like Highland, I must go back and do more exploration.
I think that when I return, I'll throw the bike on the bike rack and pedal across the miles of gravel roads.  As soon as the weather cools.  I do not like to sweat.



 The last four photos that I've included were taken in Savannah, Georgia, at the Bonaventure Cemetery (http://www.bonaventurecemeterytours.com/)  one of the most breathtakingly beautiful places I've ever stepped foot in.
I fell in love with Savannah, I could see myself living there someday, it truly felt like a TrippyBeth kinda place.  There was culture, art, history, great food, yummy beer..... what else could a girl ask for??  And as a bonus, it generally does not snow there!!




5 comments:

Vigilarius said...

Those are some great photos! Older cemeteries are wonderful places to enjoy nature and just relax.

Savannah's a nice city, although Georgia in the summertime feels like Hell itself ... only with more humidity. ;)

TrippyBeth said...

THANK YOU :-)
But..... no window scraping (I despise window scraping)in Savannah.
The gnats are a huge turn off though....
I do think that I should live down south.........
Someday

Vigilarius said...

Georgia's heat and humidity during the summer months just seems so unrelenting. :(

TrippyBeth said...

It is fairly unrelenting in Ohtucky too..... and there is window scraping to contend with in the winter.... and i can never find my scraper....

Vigilarius said...

Humidity is the real problem. I can take a dry heat, but heat + moisture = sheer torture. :(