Search This Blog

Monday, August 6, 2012

Danger, Doves and Dunkel

Monday…………. For the record…………I hate you.

Sigh…

But I’ve sucked it up and am at the office.  I’m sure I would feel so much better if I could lie my head down, for just a few minutes.  That plan sounds as good as my plan last night, not to drink on a work night.

ANYWAY…..

I am noticing that as this blog continues, there is a definite evolution taking place.  I created the blog to talk about tattoos.  I have an obsession with them, obviously, and I wanted to share my obsession with you.  As my fingers have been tickling the keyboard, I’ve realized that I have more to talk about.  My life, when looked at as a whole, not all that interesting.  But if you look at certain segments, individually, they could be slightly entertaining.

Since I am quite sure I can’t serve as an example, I will serve as a warning……

So…. The weekend.

I had a fan-fucking-tastic weekend.  I really need to come up with a way to make the weekend last 5 days and the work week 2 days. 

Any suggestions?

I’m in the lottery pool at the office, I’m pretty sure that’s the only way I could have longer weekends and not end up living in a box under the Roebling.  “Did you see the girl in the cute hat and boots under the bridge? Yea, that was me”.

Friday night, my plans changed at something resembling the last minute.  I had resigned myself to staying home; I actually didn’t feel bad about it.  But I was invited out and decided TO HELL WITH THE LAUNDRY, and went. 
As an aside, I actually had to buy some new underwear on Sunday… it’s been that long since I’ve done laundry.  I know, sad.

As I was getting in my car to leave Friday evening, a car drives up my street, slows down to nearly a stop as it nears me, and blows the horn, the car was an older blue Cadillac-ish car.  I quickly get in the car, shut the door and drive off as quickly as I can coordinate everything to make that happen (sunglasses, phone plugged in, some Alice in Chains unplugged).  I didn’t give it another thought and went about my evening.

I return home at around 11, not a late night for me.  I had thought that KR and I were going to the Ludlow Bromley Yacht Club, which did not pan out.  It was okay, I was tired. 

I pull into a parking spot directly in front of my building, turn the car off, and reply to a text before I get out.  I have to say that I have NEVER felt unsafe in my neighborhood.  It’s a quiet residential street.  I have returned home at all hours of the night, and never felt any danger.
As I walked up the steps in front of my building, a car appears, nearly stopping in the street…. It was the same older blue Cadillac-ish car. 
I am not exaggerating when I say that the hair stood up on the back of my neck… the hinky meter was going off loudly with bells and whistles and banging trash can lids.  I sprinted up the flight of steps to my apartment, dropped my keys twice before I could get the door unlocked.
FUCK
I slam the door shut, lock the deadbolt (which I never do) and ran over to look out the front window.  No sign of the car.

I’m still freaked and nervous, not me AT ALL.

So I put out the bat signal…..  KS urged me to call the police department.  I didn’t want to be that girl.  Didn’t want to overreact.  Yet, I wondered how many girls had been murdered after ignoring that inner voice? My inner voice had been screaming at me, something I am unaccustomed to…

I asked, on facebook, if anyone personally knew a local police officer, forgetting that I had a childhood friend who is an attorney with the county court system.  She messaged me.  I told her the situation and she agreed that the police should be notified, she called them.  She reported back to me that an officer would be patrolling the street on and off for the remainder of the evening.

After I made it through Friday night without being murdered, I headed out to Goodwill on Saturday morning.  I did not score big.  Disappointing.  I did, however, get a framed photo of a statue and a glass decanter.  So it wasn’t a total loss.


Then I had a birthday lunch with KS and KR….. I love those girls madly. 

My birthday gifts. I've not had the Delirium Nocturnum yet WOOHOO!

Saturday night KR, G and I went to a little bar to hear a band.  I am not usually a huge fan of rock bands with chick singers, but KR assured me this chick was good… and KR has excellent taste in rock music.  She was right! This chick ruled! They even covered some White Stripes, and I am mad about Jack White.  The band was called I-69 – which according to the bouncer, B, (who we went to high school with) they changed the band name to I-69 from Taken because the lead singer was a lesbian. 
Uuuuummmmm B, 69 is not exclusive to the lesbian community.  I guess this is what you get when country comes to town.

The crescendo of the weekend was the Black Dove movie premier, which I mentioned in a previous posting.  G and I arrived early enough to do a little people watching and to see the “Making of..” film.
Premier-ready TrippyBeth.

Pre-premier hoopla, that is the star, John Savage.

The theater was plagued with sound issues.  I don’t understand why there wasn’t a dry run BEFORE 615.  It seemed like they only discovered the issue when it was time to play the film.  So after approximately 45 minutes, the sound issue was resolved.  Just in time to play the feature.  I didn't really feel like I missed anything by not seeing "The Making Of..."  And as long as the house lights were up, I could people watch.  People watching makes TrippyBeth a happy girl.

The movie, in a nutshell, was about a man’s (Jake Williams) quest to get back his Black Dove guitar that his ex wife had taken while he was in prison (he was a well known performer prior to the incarceration) and his connection with the daughter he’d never known.

What I loved about the movie:
*It was shot in Cincinnati and NKY….super cool seeing familiar places!
If you’ve never been in Mike’s Music on Mainstrasse in Covington (http://www.mikesmusicohio.com/), YOU MUST GO!!  Even if you aren’t a musician, it’s a really awesomely cool place to check out.

* BLUES…there were several  blues songs I was really digging on… I am such a blues chick.

What I didn’t love about the movie:
*character underdevelopment.
* the plot wasn’t fully realized.
As I was explaining this to R, he said that perhaps it was a result of poor editing. I mostly felt like it was a result of poor writing.
The screenwriter/producer had a Q&A session at the end of the film.
He mentioned “the prostitute” that the main character was with.  Prostitute? I thought she was just a slutty neighbor.
He goes on to explain that the cop (whose character was the most underdeveloped) was formerly a body guard for Elvis (and the actor was in real life) and that’s where the Black Dove originally came from. 
The main character’s ex wife (an UNcrazy Sean Young) had slept with the cop to get the guitar for Jake, before he was incarcerated.

Uuummmm hello…. That should have been better explained IN the movie…..in the movie viewing world, most people don’t have the luxury of having the screenwriter there to explain the plot of the film and fill you in on everything that was left out.  But, hey, that's just me. The film did win at a film festival someplace that I'd never heard of.  So, maybe, it IS just me.  However, in retrospect, G did agree with me.  Maybe it was the TWO of us.

All of the critiques aside, it was a fun experience.

I really enjoyed the after party at Jefferson Hall.  Ran into a bartender, Braden, from my new favorite bar The Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar.  Interesting conversation, as he is also a movie producer.  Told me to be sure to come down when he was bartending.  I am going to do that.  Super cool dude.

All the movie talk had me thinking about my own writing.  Even with my novel being incomplete, I feel like Betsy is a much more developed, multi-dimensional character.  Even though she may come off as cold sometimes, I still feel like the readers will root for her (and maybe someday, the movie viewers).  I so need to get back to Betsy and finish telling her story.  Yet I have other ideas that I think would be more mainstream, more marketable (uuummm no, not selling out either).  So much in this head of mine….. so little time…. I wish I could plug a thumb drive in my cranium and download all of these words….

Maybe it would free up enough space so I could actually remember who I had plans with tonight…. At this moment I have no fucking idea….sigh……. I don’t know if it’s a lack of free space or the Dunkel and Woodford last night….. it couldn’t be that, right?

3 comments:

Vigilarius said...

I have to disagree with you, unfortunately; your life is very interesting! You seem to find a new adventure every day, which is one reason I enjoy reading your blog.

TrippyBeth said...

:) you are my favorite reader Vigilarius!!!!
I really do appreciate you following along....

Vigilarius said...

Thank you for the compliment. I'm sure you have many other readers, though; I'm just the only one who comments! ;)