Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

All Wrapped Up in a Sushi Roll...

I blinked…

Now it’s Monday, sigh…

I, however, had a great weekend.  Super busy, and my ass is super kicked!

Friday night, as I alluded to earlier, was the ZZ Top/Lynyrd Skynyrd concert at Riverbend (http://www.riverbend.org/).


The show started off with the band The Cadillac Black (http://thecadillacblack.com/), I’d never heard of them before, but I really liked them, they threw down some really good southern rock.  TrippyBeth likes some southern rock! 
Long haired country boys

After The Cadillac Black, Skynyrd took the stage, and tore it down!  The last time I saw them, with Kid Rock, it seemed like they were just phoning it in. But, Friday, they brought it!  I danced my ass off, sang at the top of my lungs and had a GREAT time!

And it was a great night for a hat!!!

Finally, ZZ Top came on… I was so looking forward to them; I’ve loved them for 100 years.  Friday night, ZZ Top were the ones phoning it in.  To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement.  However, they did play “Jesus Just Left Chicago”, I can’t say it was my favorite version, but it was all I really WANTED.  I shouldn’t complain.  I do think that maybe…just maybe The Reverend Willy G should stick with acting at this time in his career.  He is still the embodiment of cool, no doubt.  But I did not feel compelled to shake what my mama gave me while they played.

All and all, it was a fun night anyway… I had a couple of Yuengling Lagers, not too bad, I’m still not sure they completely live up to the hype that surrounded the release a year or so ago, not bad nonetheless.

One of the best things I heard all night was a woman proclaiming “I think I smell some mari-ja-wanna!!”  She must not have a very good smeller; the weed was burning from the minute I arrived until I left! It was Skynyrd and ZZ Top, Lady, what do you expect? Sheesh….

Saturday I slept late, did a little decorating around the apartment, I should have done laundry, but I really hate laundry.



Saturday evening I headed down to the Newport on the Levee to meet a friend for dinner.  The Hat had previously decided that we would dine at the new-ish Naked Tchopstix, a pan-Asian sushi restaurant (www.tchopstix.com/).


All that I can say is AWESOME!!!!! 
But I will say more than that, of course!
Our waiter was fantastic, sadly, I don’t recall his name. 
I started out with the sake/plum wine cocktail (yummy) and L had an IPA that they had on tap.
At our waiter’s suggestion, we tried the Playboy sushi roll…. And I hate to say this but OMG!!
It was DELISH!!  It has a bonus of being served, thanks to some everclear, by being lit afire at your tableside! The fire fuses the sauce with the roll.  The roll stuffed with shrimp and asparagus and tuna (?), the sauce….sigh….the sauce, I could have drank it!! Spicy, but not too spicy.  I want more, NOW!

The bibimbap as it was mixed together...

Then we had the more traditional dolsot bibimbap, which are veggies, beef, rice and an egg served in a sizzling stone bowl.  It is served with a smokey, spicy sauce which is quite tasty as well. 

It is a great dining experience, if you enjoy sushi or just trying new food…. GO…NOW!!!

Sunday, I went for late lunchtime beer at Haufbrauhaus with AW. 
I do not have one drop of German blood, but damn I love German beer!!  I, of course, had the Dunkel and enjoyed a nice visit sitting outside under the shade of an umbrella.  The weather was absolutely PERFECT!
Sunday TrippyBeth...
Sunday evening, I headed back to the Taft Theater to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd!!  He is soooooo pretty and so talented.  He is the ultimate SRV fan, plays Stevie’s licks to perfection.
Robert Cray (http://robertcray.com/) opened for KWS, and WOW… unique blues guitar style, and, holy hell, can that man sing!  I’m definitely a new fan.

As I sat there watching Mr. Cray, I saw people walking up and down the aisles of the theater.  It distracts me, maybe it doesn’t distract everyone, but it does me.  I decided that it would be much better if people were required to, as they travel up and down the aisles, to traverse them dance-dare style!! Shaking their money makers as they go up and down!  It would be an adjunct to the entertainment! So, as I watched the people make their way to and from their seats, I imagined them dancing… should be state law.  I have danced my way out of bars before, with C, it’s pretty fun, even though I am not a good  dancer, and I try!

Kenny Wayne on the right, Noah Hunt on the right... Yummy squared!!

When The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band took the stage, the whole place went cccrrrazy!  With Kenny Wayne playing some sick guitar and Noah Hunt (a Cinci boy!) killing some blues vocals, it was a great show!  I’ve seen them before and they do not disappoint!!
They ended the show with “Blue on Black”, “Oh Well” and “Voodoo Chile”… the whole place was on their feet, rockin and singing… great time!!

I get home last night, not too late, around 11:30 and I’m tired, yet sleep would not come! I was awake until around 6a, the alarm goes off at 6:30a… I may not look my best today, but I’m actually in a good mood, I know… weird.
My new Kindle Fire HD just arrived!!
I’m psyched!  I am a book lover, the feel the smell, the whole experience, but reading in bed had become difficult as I’m having trouble with my eyes (probably chemo related) so I broke down and bought the Kindle, I can’t wait to play with it!!

I HATE ICE CREAM TRUCKS.  It had to be said. 
Their creepy music just sends a shiver up my spine.  It could be due, in part, to never really being exposed to them until I was an adult.  There weren’t ice cream trucks where I grew up.
And, in part, to the ice cream’s association to clowns.  I don’t think I’ve mentioned my aversion to clowns before.  I know it’s not a rare aversion, who can forget Pennywise?? Dammit, I just creeped myself out.
J was telling me the other night that he had ordered a new “awesome” clown mask, as if such a thing could ever exist!
He asked if I wanted to see it “NO” I replied.
“Not even a photo of it?” he asked.
“NO” I replied again.
“Not even a picture?” he asked again.
“NO, and I don’t even like talking about it, honestly” I replied AGAIN.
“OH” he said “You’re one of THOSE.”

Sigh, I am one of THOSE…  it’s ok though, I’m good with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That ice cream truck reminds me of the Twisted Metal video game series. Ah, childhood.