Search This Blog

Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday the 13th, Tribal Style..

HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13th My friends!! 
And Happy 66th birthday to Jason Voorhees!!

2012 is a little unusual as there have now been 3 Friday the 13ths!
We won’t have another one until September 2013, that is, of course, if the world doesn’t end in December.

I’m sure that all those who suffer from Paraskevidekatriaphobia (fear of Friday the 13th) are thrilled that they will be able turn the pages of their calendar 14 times before they have to face that dreaded date again!

I can’t say that I am particularly superstitious, although I do like to look for signs.  I could possibly interpret things as signs, which clearly (to others) aren’t signs.  I, probably, am just subconsciously looking for something to justify something that I want.  The brain works in mysterious ways…..

As a society, I think that we are migrating away from the superstitions of our past.  I remember that, as a kid, when Friday the 13th would roll around, it was a big deal!  I’ve barely heard mention today that it’s the 13th.  
But it happens, hell, people used to be afraid to have their photographs taken, for fear that their souls would be stolen.  One only has to look at facebook to see that superstition is long gone….. Although I kinda wish the duck face, too tan girls would contract a mild case of photophobia…… there I go being snarky again.  Sheesh, I’m a camera whore, but only if I have control over the photos and the editing.

I’ve seen several tattoo shops that hold specials on Friday the 13th.  They usually have a page of flash to choose from, with special pricing.  It’s a neat idea, I can’t say that I’d get a Friday the 13th tattoo, but I think that they are pretty cool on others.
The tattoo that I want to present today belongs to Jon.

I actually caught sight of Jon’s tattoo from his profile on a dating site, so I had to shoot him and email and get more information about it.
The tattoo is a native hawk, from the Northwest River Tribes.  Jon’s heritage is Cherokee, but he’s adopted Sioux.  He tells me that the tattoo is his given name.  He hopes to have his daughters’ names added to the tattoo and eventually complete half sleeves.  Since he works in the corporate world that doesn’t accept visible tattoos, he has to keep his sleeves short.
Jon was tattooed at SkinCraft http://www.skincraftbodymod.com/ Cincinnati, OH.  He does not, however, recall the artist’s name.  I suspect that it was Dara, but I can’t confirm.

I am infatuated with tribal tattoos, when they are on folks that actually belong to a tribe! People are tribal tattoo crazy!  I really admire the really clean, bold ones.
Tribal tattoos are favorites of the frat boy population; you can hardly go out in the warm weather without seeing tribal ink everywhere!
If you’re gonna get a tribal tattoo, it should look like this:
But I’ve seen a lot of poorly done tribal tattoos on the bare arms of dudes, who have no idea that they have a bad tattoo.  I suppose ignorance is bliss, I would be devastated if I had a bad tattoo covering an entire arm.  It seems to me that the people with the bad tattoos are more inclined to show them off than those with good tattoos.  But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Obviously, their work looks good to them.  And in the end, that’s really all that matters.

Thanks Jon, for sharing your ink with us.  I hope that when you have more work done you’ll let us admire it!!

Here’s hoping everyone survives their Friday the 13th!!!

No comments: